Liang BA.* Measuring the Impact of Counterfeit Drugs: Applying the Patient Safety Reporting System Approach. Proceedings of the OECD/WIPO meeting on measurement of counterfeiting and piracy, 17-18 October 2005.
- At least $32/€27 billion annually.
- $88/€73 million a day.
- Estimates: grow to $75/€62 billion annually in 5 years.
- Up to 60% of drugs in developing countries are counterfeit
- Up to 90% artenusate in Southeast Asia fake.
- Up to 20% of drugs sold in some developed countries counterfeit.
- Up to 15% of all drugs around the world are counterfeit.
- All are guesstimates—no hard data on incidence, prevalence, or economic burden.
Want to get a summary of global counterfeit drug news emailed to you every week? Sign up for our email list!