Expert Resources: Alerts
The fight against counterfeit medicines requires that governments communicate with the public and with health professionals. This page lists the most recent public counterfeit alerts, and links to counterfeit alert systems. To find links to relevant health regulator webpages, please visit the individual regions.
Counterfeit Alert Systems
- SafeMeds Alert System of the Partnership for Safe Medicines. This free alert system is open to all members of the public and broadcasts official alerts from government agencies on a region-by-region basis. Learn more and sign up.
- Rapid Alert System of the World Health Organization, Western Pacific Region. This system operates in the Pacific and allows health professionals the ability to report, discuss, and confirm counterfeits. Learn more.
- Counterfeit Alert Network of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. This group of professional organizations rapidly disseminates counterfeit alerts to its membership. Learn more.
Recent Counterfeit Alerts Worldwide
- 15 August 2007. Health Canada. Health Canada Reminds Consumers About the Risks of Buying Drugs Online.
- 4 April 2007. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA WARNING: Risks of buying Accutane (isotretinoin) over the Internet.
- 23 October 2006. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA Updates its Nationwide Alert on Counterfeit Blood Glucose Test Strips.
- 13 October 2006.U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA Issues Nationwide Alert on Counterfeit One Touch Basic/Profile and One Touch Ultra Blood Glucose Test Strips.
- 30 August, 2006. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA Warns Consumers Not to Buy or Use Prescription Drugs
from Various Canadian Websites that Apparently Sell Counterfeit Products.
- 24 August, 2006. Health Canada.
Another batch of counterfeit lipitor found in the United Kingdom.
- 19 July, 2006. Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency (U.K.) Second Recall Alert on Counterfeit Lipitor.Class 2 medicines recall (action within 48 hours): Pfizer Ltd, Lipitor 20mg Tablets, EL(06)A/16.
- July 12, 2006. Health Canada Alert.
Counterfeit Product Linked to Death of Ontario Horse.
- April 26, 2006. SwissMedic Warning. Swissmedic warnt erneut vor geflschtem Grippemittel.
- March 27, 2006. European Commission Warning. European Commission warns about fake drugs on the internet.
- January 20, 2006. FDA Alert. FDA Statement on Fraudulent, Unapproved Influenza-Related Products.
- December 23, 2005. Health Canada Alert. Health Canada advises consumers be cautious when buying Tamiflu online.
- August 2005. “AT LEAST TWELVE TYPES OF FAKE ARTESUNATE ARE BEING SOLD IN MAINLAND SE ASIA”.
- July 29, 2005. FDA Counterfeit Alert. FDA Alerts U.S. Residents to Recall of Counterfeit “Lipitor” Sold in the United Kingdom.
- July 28, 2005. Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency (U.K.) Recall Alert on Counterfeit Lipitor.
- June 16, 2005. Ontario College of Pharmacists Counterfeit Alert. RISK OF COUNTERFEIT NORVASC MEDICATION FROM KING WEST PHARMACY, HAMILTON.
- May 10, 2005. FDA Counterfeit Alert. FDA Warns Consumers About Counterfeit Drugs Purchased in Mexico.
- April 28, 2005. FDA Diversion Alert. Pharmacies and Drugs Affected by Drug Diversion Operation. Consumers in CA, GA, NJ, and NY should consult this list immediately.
- January 2005. “AT LEAST SEVEN TYPES OF FAKE ARTESUNATE ARE BEING SOLD IN MAINLAND SE ASIA”
- September 2, 2004. U.K.
Department of Health Alert on Reductil.
- August 30, 2004. FDA
alert on Viagra in CA pharmacies.
- August 24, 2004. U.K
Department of Health Alert on Cialis.
- July 30 2004. FDA Alert on simvastatin
and carisoprodol purchased in Mexico.
- February 12, 2004. FDA
Alert on counterfeit Ortho Evra transdermal patches.