Counterfeit GLP-1 agonists: Injected Diabetes and Weight Loss Medicine
Counterfeit weight loss injection medicines, such as Ozempic, have already been found in Australia, Belgium, Ireland, Azerbaijan, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Nigeria, Turkey, Uzbekistan, Russia, U.S., Germany, Austria, and the U.K.
On June 15, 2023 Ozempic maker Novo Nordisk warned that a fake version of the diabetes drug had been found in the U.S. The counterfeit injection pen, which contained insulin instead of semaglutide, was reportedly purchased at a retail pharmacy.
These confirmed fakes are happening alongside an uptick in black market, unauthorized sales of Ozempic and its sister drugs, Wegovy and Rybelsus, on social media platforms and online marketplaces.
Are you worried about whether your Ozempic is genuine? These are Novo Nordisk's tips for how to tell.
(Click to enlarge these images)
- Genuine Novo Nordisk Ozempic® pens do not extend or increase in length when setting the dose.
- The dose dial window only shows intended doses:
- On the pen intended to deliver 0.25/0.5 mg doses, it only shows -0-, 0.25 and 0.5 once dialed up to the intended doses
- On the pen intended to deliver 1 mg dose, it only shows -0- and 1 mg once dialed up to the intended dose
- On the pen intended to deliver 2 mg dose, it only shows -0- and 2 mg once dialed up to the intended dose
- Authentic Ozempic® pens are currently available in the following configurations:
- 0.25/0.5 mg pen
- 1 mg pen
- 2 mg pen
- The box containing authentic Ozempic® will include 4 needles which attach directly onto the pen, except the Ozempic® 0.25/0.5 mg dose carton which has 6 nee
- A counterfeit pen may be identified based on scale extending out from the pen when setting the dose.
- The label on a counterfeit pen could be of poor quality and may not adhere well to the pen.
- A counterfeit carton may have spelling mistakes on the front of the box (i.e., 1pen and 4 doses without space between ‘1’ and ‘pen’) as seen in photo above.
- A counterfeit carton may not include the tamper resistant/perforation.
- The batch number printed on a counterfeit box may not correspond to the product strength stated on the same box and pen.