Resources for Patients
It doesn’t matter if you live in United States, Europe, Asia, or Africa—everyone is at risk from unsafe drugs. Counterfeit drugs defraud consumers and deny patients therapies that can alleviate suffering and save lives. In some cases, these drugs have caused great harm and fatalities.
There are ways to minimize your risk of getting a counterfeit medicine. Take a moment to learn more about how you can protect your family from fake drugs with the tools below.
Real Dangers of Fake Drugs
- Fentanyl 101: Counterfeit pills containing fentanyl are killing Americans across the entire country. Learn about fentanyl and these counterfeit.
- Spot the Fake: Counterfeiters are selling chalk (or worse) as if they were real drugs are very good. How good? So good that not even the experts can always tell the genuine drugs from the fake ones. See some examples of what actual counterfeit drugs look like.
- S.A.F.E. D.R.U.G.: This "how-to" guide helps consumers identify and protect against counterfeit medicines by showing patients how to judge whether their medications are safe and provides tips on what to do if a drug has been compromised.
- Stay Up To Date: Consult our news archive and sign up for our newsletter to stay current on drug safety in the U.S. and overseas.
How to Buy Medications Online Safely
- Tips for Safe Online Buying: Learn why simply searching for "lipitor online" is likely to get you a dangerous counterfeit.
- Warning Signs: Just because a Web site looks good, doesn’t mean it’s legitimate. This checklist of warning signs can help you spot a rogue online drug seller.
- VIPPS and .pharmacy: Learn why .pharmacy and VIPPS-certified online pharmacies are the safest way to buy medicine online.
Easy Ways to Safely Save Money on Prescription Drugs
- Safe Savings: If you can’t safely buy drugs from foreign online pharmacies, how can you safely save money on your prescriptions? This handout offers advice.
- Safe Savings Tips: PSM is constantly looking for ways to you to save money safely. Follow our Safe Savings Tips feed to learn more.
- Prescription Assistance
- NeedyMeds: NeedyMeds is a nonprofit organization helps patients find prescription assistance programs. If you need help paying for your prescriptions, start here.
- PPA: The Partnership for Prescription Assistance (PPA) helps uninsured and financially struggling patients get access to nearly 500 healthcare and prescription assistance programs that offer medicines for free or nearly free.